BP has predicted it will be back drilling in the Gulf of Mexico within a matter of months despite continuing legal threats and rows over pollution from last year's Deepwater Horizon disaster. The comments are likely to infuriate environmentalists who believe BP should be kept away from the Gulf, and could upset a US offshore regulator still considering whether to grant permits to BP. Verbal gaffes by former chief executive Tony Hayward in the wake of the Macondo well accident 12 months ago damaged the company's reputation in America as it attracted widespread criticism from the White House downwards. The company has not drilled any wells in the US Gulf since a moratorium was introduced last summer but formally lifted again in October. Some rival firms have already been granted permission to drill new deepwater wells, but not BP.
BP To Resume Gulf Of Mexico Drilling, Year After Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill | HuffPost
The petition comes less than 12 months after a rig BP had leased there exploded, causing a huge oil spill and killing 11 workers. BP is seeking permission to continue drilling at 10 existing deepwater production and development wells in the region in July in exchange for adhering to stricter safety and supervisory rules, said one of the officials. An agreement covering existing wells could be reached within the next month but would not include new drilling, the official said. The other official said, "We're making progress but it's not a yes yet. Drilling in the Gulf of Mexico was halted last summer as a result of the accident involving BP's Macondo well, which spilled 4.
January 25, by CT Wild. After all the hard work and five months in California, the book is finally complete. I have already sent the spreads off to several publishers.
The drive to resume drilling comes even as investigations continue into the disaster that was precipitated by the explosion on April 20 last year of the BP-leased Deepwater Horizon oil rig in the Gulf, which killed 11 workers and led to the largest offshore oil spill in US history. The US Justice Department opened criminal and civil investigations into the spill last June and filed a civil suit against the British-based company in December. Federal prosecutors are reportedly actively considering whether to bring manslaughter charges against the company and individual managers in connection with the disaster. Lower-level managers could also be charged, although manslaughter charges are considered more likely against the company rather than individual managers. While the Justice Department holds out the possibility of criminal charges, the Obama Administration has generally taken steps to help the company minimize its losses and prepare to resume drilling operations under new and supposedly stricter safety standards.